Department of Education FAQ's
SO YOU WANT TO BE A TEACHER!
Central Christian College has a history of helping educate our nation’s teachers. The Department of Teacher Education is accredited by the Kansas State Board of Education, and is approved to offer programs in Elementary Education, PreK-12th Physical Education and Secondary History and Government. We anticipate adding other programs in the near future.
HOW CAN CENTRAL CHRISTIAN HELP PREPARE ME TO TEACH?
- A four-year degree through our education department prepares you to sit for exams for Kansas teacher licensure. Passing the exams qualifies you to teach in Kansas public and private schools.
- To teach in other states, check with their department of education. Most surrounding states have reciprocal agreements with Kansas.
- To teach in Christian schools, apply for certification with any Christian school accrediting association.
HOW DO I GET STARTED?
- Apply for admission to CCC and receive your acceptance notification.
- Declare education as your field. You will be assigned an education advisor who will work closely with you in planning your program of study.
- In January of your freshman year, during Introduction to Education, you will apply for admission to the Teacher Education Program. We will help you work toward meeting the requirements for acceptance.
- For elementary teaching, you will graduate with a degree in elementary education. To teach in secondary schools, you will pursue a major in your chosen field (i.e. History and Government), along with the professional education curriculum.
- Upon graduation, you will be eligible to sit for exams to receive teacher licensure in Kansas.
- If you are a transfer student, you will be advised on an individual basis.
WHAT COURSES WILL I NEED TO TAKE?
- A detailed list of program requirements will be provided to you.
- You will take general education courses during your freshman and sophomore years.
- Professional education courses will begin with Intro to Education in January of your freshman year.
- You will take two or three education courses as a sophomore. The junior and senior curriculum will be almost exclusively education classes, with secondary major course work for secondary teachers.
WHY SHOULD I CHOOSE CENTRAL CHRISTIAN COLLEGE?
- Your years at Central will be very rewarding because of the many opportunities to grow spiritually in the Christian environment of a close-knit campus community.
- Your college experience is further enhanced by personal and caring relationships with a dedicated faculty and staff, the chance to form life-long friendships from among the warm and friendly student body, and the many opportunities for involvement in service projects and campus activities.
- Central is a great place for you to begin your career as an educator!
For more information, call the CCC Education Office at (620) 241-0723, X301
Return to Education Department Home